Monday, April 30, 2012

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls

April 19, 2012

Uhg, it's 12:30 am and I got hit with blog inspiration.  It developed upon finishing a batch of Buckeyes (chocolate dipped peanut butter balls) for the very first time  ; )  Sporadically, I get inspired to try things that are (in a culinary sense) outside of my comfort zone and I enjoy sharing with you how it ended up going.  So far, I've made pretty much everything I've tried to make, how it's suppose to be made, until tonight... correction, this midnight ; )  My procedure was spot on, however, my technique had a downfall... I burned my chocolate.  I have never melted chocolate and I was fascinated with the idea of using my fondue pot to dip my peanut butter balls in.  I added the edible paraffin to the chocolate at the same time, but I should have melted it first!  I quickly noticed paraffin takes far more time to melt than the chocolate which melts almost immediately.  I heard from others that adding paraffin gives the chocolate a glistening coat. I read several recipes, but chose a standard one from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook.
From the dough, I shaped little balls, chilled them for 30 min. to harden so they wouldn't fall apart when dipped



I melted the chocolate while the balls chilled. When ready, I removed the tray from the fridge and dipped each ball using wooden skewer stick
(the slotted tool I used didn't work like I hoped it would)


I covered the pin hole with a drop of chocolate on the top of these treats to hide the void created by the stick.  I placed the coated balls back on the tray covered with wax paper to set up without sticking permenantly.


When I finished all 43 of them, I divided ones for 3 neighbors and ourselves in covered dishes and returned them to the fridge for safe keeping. 
They are good for 3 weeks but even though my chocolate didn't come out perfect, they'll be gone in 3 days!  ; )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment