Monday, April 16, 2012

Split Pea Soup & Parmesan Cheese Bread

Cook 'em

Mash 'em

Mix 'em

Blend 'em



Heat 'em

Prep 'em

Toast 'em

I have been on a homemade food kick lately.  The other day it was semi-homemade Snickerdoodle cookies (the dry mix kind, out of a box) that I shared with two of our elderly neighbors across the street.  Then I made, for the first time, and from complete scratch, white bread by recipe.  And tonight I mastered Split Pea soup without recipe.  I just had dried peas I needed to use, and a bag of carrots in the fridge to accompany them.  I cooked the peas as directed (3 cups water to 1 cup dry peas), salted & steamed the carrots until fork tender and mashed them after they softened.  I mixed the cooked peas into the seasoned carrots (and also added the water I used to steam the carrots, to hold onto as much of the nutrients as possible) before blending them in my food processor. I incorporated the desired amount of milk needed, to thin it out into a creamy consistancy.  I am aware there are several variations to split pea soup, but I was just starting out with a basic goal of, well, EDIBLE ; )  {Next time I make this, I will play around with adding ham and maybe some garlic.}  Once I was content with the taste & texture of the soup I transferred it to a sauce pan to warm up & serve.  While it was heating up I sliced some of the homemade bread and buttered it so the parmesan cheese I sprinkled over it would stick well, plus it gives the bread succulent flavor.  I broiled the bread for a few minutes just to make it crusty and give it a golden brown finish. 
Dinner... was... served ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment